home
Search
‘El Salvador’ church

This church was built at the end of the 16Th century on an old mosque made Christian in 1530. The new building alteration works were made between 1583 and 1591, directed by Jaime and Andrés Terol brothers and Honorato Martí.

The floor plan follows renaissance designs consisting of a single nave divided into four sections with side chapels. The original façade of the same style was modified after the enlargement of the ‘Santísimo’ chapel introducing baroque features.

Inside, is the painting ‘The Redemption of Souls by Baptism’ by Francisco Ribalta. Over the entrance to the main apse there are thirteen round paintings representing the Holy Spirit surrounded by the apostles. On the two transept pillars the group is completed with two tablets forming the group of the Virgin anouncement.

In the main apse, there are small round tablets representing subjects relationing to El Salvador and the Evangelists which have been ascribed to Nicolas Borrás, painter from Cocentaina.

On the side of the chapel walls there are ceramic tiles dating the 18Th and 19Th centuries, with depictions inside round medallions of the Holy Family and the ailing Saint Joseph, among other religious topics.

Download audio



Cocentaina Castle
Cocentaina Castle
Earls Palace
Earls Palace
Penella Castle
Penella Castle
Town wall towers
Town wall towers
Moors and Christians Festival Museum
Moors and Christians Festival Museum
El Comtat Archeology and Ethnology Museum
El Comtat Archeology and Ethnology Museum
Town Hall
Town Hall
Saint Christopher Hermitage
Saint Christopher Hermitage
Santa Bàrbara Hermitage
Santa Bàrbara Hermitage
Clarisas Convent
Clarisas Convent
Convent of Franciscan Fathers
Convent of Franciscan Fathers
Church of Santa Maria
Church of Santa Maria
‘El Salvador’ church
‘El Salvador’ church
Carrer Major (Main Steet)
Carrer Major (Main Steet)
‘Dolors’ Street
‘Dolors’ Street
'Pla de la Font' Square
'Pla de la Font' Square
Audios
Audios
Nombre
Contraseña
Login
Copyright. Todos los derechos reservados