home
Search
Saint Christopher Hermitage


This hermitage was founded at the end of the 14Th century. The selection of the patron, Saint Christopher, is linked with its location as a control point of the north and east entrances of Cocentaina.

The building has a rectangular plan that measures 11,70 x 2,80 metres, consisting  a oratory nave, vestry and dwelling designated to the hermit that is nowadays a restaurant.

On the main altar there is an altarpiece dedicated to the Saint painted in 1815, by Soler y Diego, a scribe from Cocentaina. The painting was restored in 1995. A legend tells that in the mid of the 15Th century a hermit called Pedro Juan Escuder lived there. He was a mythical figure in Cocentaina because of his prophecies.

The architectural complex and its surrounds are now an important visiting area for the recreation of Cocentaina and its surrounding towns, together with tourists.

Download audio



Cocentaina Castle
Cocentaina Castle
Earls Palace
Earls Palace
Penella Castle
Penella Castle
Town wall towers
Town wall towers
Moors and Christians Festival Museum
Moors and Christians Festival Museum
El Comtat Archeology and Ethnology Museum
El Comtat Archeology and Ethnology Museum
Town Hall
Town Hall
Saint Christopher Hermitage
Saint Christopher Hermitage
Santa Bàrbara Hermitage
Santa Bàrbara Hermitage
Clarisas Convent
Clarisas Convent
Convent of Franciscan Fathers
Convent of Franciscan Fathers
Church of Santa Maria
Church of Santa Maria
‘El Salvador’ church
‘El Salvador’ church
Carrer Major (Main Steet)
Carrer Major (Main Steet)
‘Dolors’ Street
‘Dolors’ Street
'Pla de la Font' Square
'Pla de la Font' Square
Audios
Audios
Nombre
Contraseña
Login
Copyright. Todos los derechos reservados